“Elects to provide a nurturing place of worship, fellowship and growth for the United Methodist Community and its youth.”
Bethel United Methodist Church
1158 County Road W
Mineral Point, WI 53565
Sunday Worship Time: 8:00 a.m.
Sunday School: 8:00 a.m. [Sept – Dec]
A Tribute to Bethel Church – by Cindy Reynolds-Doyle: A small country church sits alone on a sunny ridge not far from home. A wooden structure dressed in white, stained glass windows reflecting sunlight. The lighted cross sends out a warm glow guiding travelers on paths below. The founding date proclaims to all, since 1880 Bethel Church stands tall. The gathering place for family and friends, fellowship that never ends. Our Christian love uniting us all; together we work to answer God’s call. One hundred twenty-five years of serving the Lord, Bethel Church stands proud in just reward. This proud old landmark we’ve come to know and from its strength we continue to grow.
HISTORY: (Excerpts taken from the Bethel UMC Cookbook 125th Anniversary edition) – Before there was a Bethel Church building, there was a congregation that gathered in the Cold Springs Schoolhouse, about a mile and a half northwest of the present church. Due to large attendances and the inconvenient location, the decision was reached to build a church on the prairie.
1880 – Around May 20, the Ellery Bros. of mineral Point finished building the church at its present site (between Mineral Point and Hollandale at the intersection of Hwy 39 and County Rd W South) on an acre of land donated by the Uriah James Family. Later a vestry was added to the church.
1930 – A kitchen was built onto the vestry and an entry added to the church. Wood stove was replaced with an oil burner.
1951 – Stained glass windows were installed and interior redecorated. A year later, wool carpeting was installed in aisles.
1958 – Basement was created to house the furnace. As the church is built upon a strong solid rock foundation, it was necessary to use dynamite. This resulted in some unintended holes in the vestry floor. Repairs were made to the floor and a new altar table and rail were added. In the same year, new front doors were installed, along with new carpeting, a piano and organ, and a mobile divider for the the Sunday school.
1970 – Bethel UMC joined Linden, Mineral Point, Rewey, Waldwick and Willow Creek to form “Parish of the Hills”. A well was drilled on the church grounds – no more hauling water in milk cans!
1972 – A larger entry was built onto the church. This addition serves as a meeting room so we no longer have to heat the entire church for small groups.
2001 – An addition was built onto the kitchen. This has provided us with more storage and space to work in, which is especially useful for events like our annual Fall Supper and Auction. Along with the new kitchen came something even more greatly appreciated – indoor plumbing! Ramps were added to provide better accessibility. Landscaping was done around the church, which included two rows of irises that greet parishioners each May.
2002-2003 – The UMW (United Methodist Women) created a quilted cross banner which now hangs above the alter.
ADVENT BIBLE STUDY – Rose, Jeanne, and Pastor Marilyn (left to right) preparing lunch for a study on Joseph.